In Finland, testing of automated vehicles (SAE levels 0–5) is allowed on all Finnish national road network. In addition to this, Finland has other facilities to test AV systems:
- Aurora Snowbox: winter testbed for AVs consisting of public roads, proving grounds and intelligent highways, to test vehicles in harsh weather and difficult driving conditions. Located 200km above the Arctic Circle.
- OuluZone+: research centre for AVs with 5G network and RTK-GNSS.
- Sodankylä: intelligent traffic systems, advanced road weather services and 5G-networking winter testing area in Sodankylä.
Applying for a test plate certificate from Finnish Transport Safety Agency (Trafi).
- Using form at Trafi website
- Trade Register extract
- a general description of the trials
- technical specifications of the test vehicles
- information on the road area where the trials are intended to be conducted
- proof of insurance cover for third party liability
- description of how road safety will be ensured
Organisation(s) in Charge
Link to Procedure Website
Link to Documents
Have feedback on this section? Let us know!
Please add your feedback in the field below.
Your feedback has been sent!
Thank you for your input.
An error occured...
Please try again later.